DOB -18/10/79, Manchester, U.K.
Contact numbers: Work 01225 442 244 Ext.2502; Mobile 0777 585 3000
19 Arlington House, Bath Street Bath, BA1 1QN
E-mail addresses: email@example.com; IddleYiddle@hotmail.com
• Staff Writer on PC Format Magazine (from 4 January 2003)
Involved in writing and researching features and reviews of games, hardware and software, and have grown responsibilities to commissioning several sections. I’m also the first point of contact with the readers and members of our internet forum. Have built up contact book, and regularly represent the magazine on trips to developers, publishers and trade shows.
• Freelance writing (from 24 June 2002)
I have written articles for The Times, PC Format, PC Answers, PC Gamer, PC Plus, The Official Microsoft Windows XP, Tablet PC, 101 PC Games, Gamemaker, Official Playstation 2 and Game Boy Advanced magazine during my time at Future. I was also the author of a 110 page “Focus Guide” on customising Windows XP.
• Production Assistant on PC Plus Magazine (from 24 June 2002)
Includes two months spent as de facto production editor. I have improved my sub-editing, time-management skills, and my knowledge of Future’s internal systems. I have also expanded my role to take more responsibility for chasing copy and pictures, and generally organised the flow of work between writers, production and art.
• Researcher in Dr Evan Harris MP’s office (until 1 June 2002)
Worked for four months in the constituency office of Dr Evan Harris MP, Oxford, over the course of a local election campaign. Involved in designing, printing and distributing election materials to a constituency for whole campaign. Also responsible for managing canvassers and candidates whilst running normal constituency business, such as handling constituents problems.
• Coutts Career Consultants, Manchester – Summer 1998
A period of time spent in general administration, filing and research.
• Many service sector positions
I have worked in numerous bars, restaurants, off-licenses and delis.
• October 1998 – June 2001. BA Hon Politics, Philosophy, and Economics degree at Magdalen College, Oxford University. (2:1)
• September 1996 – July 1998. A-level courses in Maths with Statistics, Biology, History, and General Studies at Cheadle Hulme School, Manchester. All A grade.
• 1995 National Mathematics Board Bronze Award. 1996 National Mathematics Board Silver Award.
• September 1994 – July 1996. GCSE courses in Maths (A), English Language (A), English Literature (A), French (A), History (A), Science Double Award (2 A*), Latin (A), Art (B). All taken at Cheadle Hulme School, Manchester.
Work Experience (selection)
• The Times – February 2002
A week spent writing articles; I have since freelanced for the Specials editor.
• Pannone and Partners – February 2002
A week spent experiencing every aspect of the work of a busy second tier law firm: learned important lessons about the legal process and about the rapid assimilation of information.
• 3D World Magazine – Future Publishing, Bath – December 2001
Two weeks spent writing articles, subbing copy, and researching news stories for the leading international CGI magazine.
• LevyGee/Numerica Accounting, Manchester – June 2001 – Jan 2002
A national firm where I conducted research intermittently for the marketing department.
• Vision Publishing – December 2000
A small publishing house, specialising in investigative journalism. I worked in both the publicity and editorial sides of the business.
• Imperial College, London – September 1997
A month setting up a database of article references in department of superconductivity under Dr Lesley Cohen.
• Logo-print Ltd – June 1997
A small print-shop and design studio, where I worked on Macintoshes using Adobe PhotoShop.
Skills & Personal Qualities
• IT. Highly computer literate; Extensive experience of IBM PCs, Acorns, and Apple Macintoshes since 1990, and hence most standard software and hardware. A quick learner on new software.
• I have also taken a First Aid course that qualifies me to be an office medical assistant from February 2000 to February 2004.
• Verbal communication skills developed in tutorials and seminars whilst in Oxford, and in various service sector jobs.
• Textual communication skills cultivated whilst working upon various student papers, and online magazines.
• Good prose, copy-writing and proofing abilities.
• Accustomed to working to deadlines and under pressure.
• Highly motivated individual who tries to appreciate and learn from a wide range of experiences.
Positions of Responsibility
• Magdalen College, Oxford University
• Selected for the Magdalen College University Challenge Team 2000.
• Editor of Ad-lib, the Oxford Liberal newspaper January 1999 – March 2000.
• Elected in March 2000 as President of the Oxford University Liberal Democrats.
• Elected as Council Delegate at Oxford University Council
• Press Officer at World Stage Premier of Joe Orton’s “Fred and Madge”
• Philosophy Discussion Group, Consciousness Society and Sir Michael Wheeler Booth’s Policy Reform Seminars attendee.
• Cheadle Hulme School
• Editor of, and main contributor to, “Stop Press”, the school’s fortnightly newspaper.
• Campaign manager of the Monster Raving Loony Party for the mock elections.
• PC Games: have been playing PC Games since 1990, starting with Wolfenstein 3D and Monkey Island. This has necessitated developing my knowledge of PC hardware and software, and I have followed the industry avidly in the intervening years.
• Travel; I have walked extensively around the UK; summer of 1999 I undertook a solo walk from Canterbury to Winchester. I also climbed Mt Olympus in Greece with the travel writer, Mike Harding.
• Reading; all sorts of books, from Science Fiction, Classics, and Politics, to Biography, Crime and Philosophy. Also read the Guardian daily, the Economist weekly, and Private Eye fortnightly and use various news sites to keep completely up to date.
• Outdoor activities; I have been and continue to be a supervisor on adventure trips to Loch Ken in Scotland and the Iseelmeer in Holland, where I have developed important team control, planning and leadership techniques. I also play football, though I am more keen than skilled.
• Alec Meer
Reviews Editor, PC Format magazine.
• Simon Pickstock
Editor, PC Answers magazine.