Huh. Who are you?
I’m Dan Griliopoulos. It said it just up there. I guess I’m a writer? I’ve written games, books, lots of journalism and that horrible stuff they call content.1
I’m a secular Jew with a Greek surname, and Welsh and Italian grannies. I have two kids who are my life.
I was brought up in Manchester, UK and headed south to study PPE 2 at Oxford. I tried working in politics but found it too frivolous. So, I joined the video games industry instead (haha?)
What do you do?
I’m currently freelance, doing narrative design and game writing. Most recently, I was working: for Inflexion Games as Senior Games Writer on Nightingale; Improbable as Lead Content Editor; and Proxy Studios as Creative Lead on ZEPHON / Warhammer 40,000: Gladius.
Before that, I was a freelance journalist for years. I’ve written for The Guardian, The New Statesman, Edge, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, RockPaperShotgun, T3, and a lot more places. I also have provided review consultancy on 30+ AAA games such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Oh, I wrote a book too, with Jordan Erica Webber. The Guardian called it “a fascinating trip through the philosophical canon, showing how games illustrate key existential questions.” It’s called Ten Things Video Games Can Teach Us (about life, philosophy and everything) and you can find it here.
It means ‘tightrope-walking’. Modern life can feel like that. 3
How can I get hold of you?
- Twitter twitter.com/griddleoctopus
- Mail at grill at funambulism dot com.
- Linked In http://uk.linkedin.com/in/grill
1. Looking back, I don’t like much of my journalism. But life is about trying, making mistakes, learning and doing better next time. And sometimes apologising too!
2. Politics, Philosophy and Economics. Yes, like all those Prime Ministers. No, I do not plan on being Prime Minister.
3. Like footnotes. Do you know hard it is to do footnotes on WordPress?